Saturday, April 2, 2011

I'm Coming Out!

Or something? When people ask me if I am gay, straight or bi, I usually tell them straight. But it's not as simple as that. Sure, for the most part I'm attracted to guys, but has there been a lady or two who has given me butterflies? Of course. What about someone who doesn't fit in the gender binary? Sure. I've tried to explain that I'm not just attracted to guys, I'm attracted to people, female, male, intersex, trans, queer... whatever. It's just not important to me. And I've heard this term thrown around a lot, but it wasn't until I looked into it that I realized how strongly I identify with it: pansexual. The wikipedia definition?


Pansexuality (also referred to as omnisexuality) is a popular term referring to the feeling that one has the potential for sexual attractions, sexual desire, or romantic love, towards people of all gender identities and biological sexes. Some self-identified pansexuals refer to themselves as gender-blind—that gender and sex are insignificant or irrelevant in determining whether they will be sexually attracted to others.

So basically everything I just said, right? Sometimes you ask people it they want their partner taller or shorter than them. And sometimes they're really passionate about being either the tall one or having a tall partner. Sometimes they couldn't care less, they tand to be attracted to taller people. It's like that. I really couldn't care less, its just usually guys. It's not that I'm attracted to both men and women, its not about that. I'm just attracted to people. Simple as that.

Or maybe I just really like pans....

Just some thoughts . . . I'm still kind of against identifying with a term like this. Everyone is different, right? These terms are too broad to describe how someone feels.

1 comment: