Friday, January 21, 2011

Golden Men in Golden Thongs

Movie review? Two nights ago I watched the 1980 BBC version of William Shakespeare's The Tempest. I got this so I could understand the crazy plots and characters in the play, and I found it surprisingly true to what I imagined reading the play . . . except one character: Ariel, the spirit and servent to the magician Prospero. Ariel is referred to with male pronouns, but in the play his gender and all physical characteristics are ambiguous. The easiest was to describe what I imagined was a slave crossed with Peter Pan and Tinkerbell's child. But how was he portrayed in the film? Take a look.


He was a skinny, boney, flamboyant man (who I have to assume is gay) wearing a gold thong and covered in gold paint. I guess every director thinks a little bit differently, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment